saxenda Dosing Schedule
- Saxenda is a medication with a unique dose escalation schedule to optimise its effectiveness and minimise side effects.
- The dosing schedule starts at 0.6mg in the first week and gradually increases to 3.0mg in the fifth week and beyond. It is crucial to follow the prescribed dosage and not change it without consulting a healthcare professional.
- If any side effects occur, it may be necessary to lower the dose to allow the body to adjust.
- Saxenda is administered through subcutaneous injections in the stomach area, upper leg, or upper arm.
- Unused Saxenda pens should be stored in the refrigerator, while opened pens can be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Saxenda should not be frozen, and any frozen Saxenda must not be used.
Saxenda has a unique dose escalation schedule designed to maximise medication efficiency and reduce any common side effects. Below is a Saxenda dosing schedule to guild you through from your starting dose (0.6mg) to the maintenance dose (3.0mg).
|Week 5 onwards
It’s important to administer Saxenda exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider. Providing you have no reactions within your first week, your dose should be increased weekly until you hit 3.0mg. After this, you mustn’t alter your dose unless told to by a healthcare professional. If you experience any side effects, speak to your professional as you may need to lower your dose for your body to adapt. When you receive your Medication, please be sure to take it right away and take it every day (preferably at the same time of day) Your prescription will last 17 days, and on the 18th day, you will need to start your new prescription.
How to administer a Saxenda dose
You need to administer a subcutaneous injection ( Under the skin ) in your stomach area, upper leg, or upper arm. You mustn’t inject into a vein or muscle.
How many doses are in the Saxenda pen?
Saxenda pen comes pre-filled in 3ml (18 mg). When first taking Saxenda, a single pen contains 17 days’ worth of dosing, the first full pack of five pens has enough doses to last six weeks. As you gradually increase your dose to the 3mg maintenance dose, the pack of 5 pens will then last 30 days.
How is Saxenda stored?
All new and unused Saxenda pens need to be stored in a refrigerator between 2°C and 8°C. After a pen has been opened, store it in a refrigerator or at room temperature between 15°C and 30°C. You need to dispose of any pens after 30 days even if they still have Saxenda left in them. Saxenda can not be frozen, any saxenda that has been frozen must not be used.